Watercress, Frisee, and Shaved Fennel Salad with Black Walnuts,
- 1 bulb fennel
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed and washed
- 2 heads washed frisee, white inner leaves only
- 1 cup toasted black walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 pomegranates, 1 for garnish and 2 for vinaigrette
- 1/4 lb Tartufato cheese (may substitute Reggiano), thinly shaved
- salt & Tellicherry pepper
- Pomegranate vinaigrette
Using kitchen mandolin or very sharp knife, shave fennel as thinly as possible. Soak fennel in ice water and lemon juice to crisp. Drain shaved fennel. Dry watercress and frisee well and mix together with well-drained fennel.
Make vinaigrette. Toss mixed greens with the vinaigrette and add chopped walnuts. Season with salt and pepper and arrange in center of serving plate. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped walnuts, and shaved cheese. Serve.
- Pomegranate juice from 2 pomegranates
- 3/4 cup water
- sugar to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/8 cup champagne vinegar
Clean pomegranates and place seeds in deep bowl or pot. Add water and pulse gently with hand mixer just enough to break seeds. Over blending will make juice bitter. Add sugar if needed. Strain juice into saucepot and reduce to glaze over low flame. Cool and then mix rest of ingredients together with whisk until blended.
Read Norbert's interview with Chef Jennifer Naylor