Recipe created by Sheila Bridges Oprah.com | Published on January 01, 2006
Try this delicious recipe! Servings: Serves 8
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 6 cups) small elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) fontina cheese , grated
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (1 slice, toasted and crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta as directed; strain and place in a buttered 3-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cheddar and fontina cheeses on top, reserving 1/2 cup of each. Stir lightly with a fork.
To make sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk and salt, whisking to prevent lumps. Add sauce to macaroni, reserving 1/2 cup. Mix egg with leftover sauce and pour over macaroni.
Sprinkle macaroni with remaining cheddar, fontina and paprika. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and olive oil in a small bowl and spread on top. Place casserole dish on a foil-lined baking sheet on oven's middle rack and bake 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.